The 90 Day “Serve Your Country” Plan
Here is what I propose. In order to be a politician in a high office (from City Council Official all the way to the President) I feel you should have to live as a struggling voter for no less than 90 days. Why not? Most soldiers do a 4 year term and many Soldiers, Fireman and Police officers risk their lives in the line of duty. So when they say “I serve my country as a public servant” well, put your life where your mouth is.
Let’s start with this in the 90 Day “Serve Your Country” also if your family is dedicated to the American people they will participate also.
- You get to live in a “the projects” style city housing unit with many other less than fortunate individuals. Basically, the poorest sector we can find in your area. Perspective is everything.
- You get to live on welfare or unemployment wages for those 90 days, let’s be kind and throw in the minimum amount of food stamps for that area.
- You must get involved in your local community and bring some kind of positive change to the area in that 90 days. We’ll come up with more specifics later but please feel free to submit your ideas. Using your special skills you should be able to help many people in 90 days. More specifics to come later.
- You must not get any special treatment because of your status or outside help from anyone that you knew prior to the start of this program.
If after 90 days you still have a positive attitude toward helping the American people, you created change in that local area, and most of all completed the program then you will deserve my vote. Oh, and every time you go for re-election you must do this program in the poorest area under your guidance and you get to double the time that you had done on the prior round, so the second time would be 180 days.
I think this program would really bring home the term “Serve my country in the public sector” I also feel it would weed out many who are just in it for the perks and not for the actual job of making America better. I bet that Congress would get more work done too as they would have a better perspective and shared experience.
As another addition to the program. If you have more money than a middle class citizen. Like many of the politicians have millions of dollars. The people could set specific goals. If after the end of their term they do not fulfill their obligation then all of their personal wealth is forfeited and distributed among the people for the area that they represent. I think that would also keep those that in the long run use our political system for personal gain.
Some examples of some requirements might be (keep in mind this is a work in progress list):
- Cut the unemployment rate in half by the end of your term.
- Reduce non-essential government programs that are not producing a positive effect on America.
Look for the term “Government Waste” on my blog or the Internet you will find many of these types of concerns.
- Reducing the deficit for the area that they govern (if applicable).
- Balance the budget for the area that they govern (if applicable).
Also all Government representatives have the same type of health and retirement plan that the common Americans do.
I would like to add more detail to this as I go. I think it’s fair that if you get to benefit from the tax payers you should understand what it is like to be a less than fortunate common poor tax payer. Please provide your feedback.